Food, Oil & Grease (FOG) Prevention

The Problem

Fats, oils, and grease (FOG) come from meats, butters and margarine, lard, food scraps, sauces, salad dressings, dairy products, and cooking oil. When FOG goes down the drain, it hardens and causes sewer pipes to clog. This can lead to a sanitary sewer overflow (SSO) where raw sewage actually backs up into your home, lawn, neighborhood, and streets. Not only does this mess cause health issues it also can run into a nearby stream or river which can cause significant environmental damage and impact aquatic life. If your pipes become clogged from putting FOG down the drain, it can be very expensive problem to fix. To avoid household and environmental damage as well as a costly bill, NEVER put FOG down the drain. The City spends on average $5,000 a year to clean out blocked pipes within the public sewer system. Please do your part to keep FOG out of your pipes and the public sewer system.

How to Properly Dispose of Fats, Oils, and Grease

When you have finished cooking, let fats, oils, and grease cool to room temperature then pour into a sealable container that you can take to recycling drop-off locations in the area. For small amounts of grease on plates or pans, wipe them clean with a paper towel and put it in the trash. Food scraps should also go in the trash.

Do put oil and grease in covered collection containers.

Do scrape food scraps from dishes into trash cans and garbage bags and dispose of properly. Avoid using the garbage disposal.

Do remove oil and grease from dishes, pans, fryers, and griddles. Cool first before you skim, scrape, or wipe off excess grease.

Don't pour oil and grease down the drain.

Don't put food scraps down the drain.

Don't rinse off oil and grease with hot water.

Food Preparation Facility Requirements

Food preparation facilities such as restaurants, cafeterias, and institutions are required to have grease traps that are properly designed and maintained to prevent the flow of food, oil, and grease wastes resulting from food preparation activities from flowing into the City’s sewer system. A grease trap permit must be obtained from the City's building official prior to initiation of food preparation operations.