Flood Insurance

Did you know?

Whether you are in a high-risk zone or not, most homeowners’ insurance doesn’t cover flood damage to the structure and contents of your home. If you live in an area with low or moderate flood risk, you are 5 times more likely to experience flood than a fire in your home over the next 30 years. Call your insurance agent today and protect what you’ve built.

The City of Nassau Bay participates in the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP), which is backed by FEMA and is available to all properties, including those that have flooded previously. Further information regarding NFIP may be found here.

Flood Risk 

Because flood risk changes over time, the NFIP and FEMA work with communities, such as the City of Nassau Bay, to identify and map flood risk on an ongoing basis. Property owners, insurance agents, lenders and realtors can use flood maps to determine flood insurance requirements and policy costs. 

To understand your flood risk and view your flood maps, visit the Flood Map Service Center (MSC)

To learn more about the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) and how to obtain flood insurance, visit FloodSmart. The NFIP Flood Insurance Claims Handbook, created by FEMA, provides policyholders tips about what to do before and after a flood, including filing a claim, and the steps involved in appealing a denied claim.

If you would like information regarding how you may lower your NFIP premium, contact the professionals at Flood Risk Evaluator. Their staff of Certified Floodplain Managers are knowledgeable on all the latest NFIP changes that are affecting your policy such as the Biggert-Waters Act (BW-12) and the Grimm-Waters Act (Homeowners Flood Insurance Affordability Act).

Flood Risk Evaluator Opens in new windowFlood Risk Evaluator Opens in new window

Make a plan, be ready for disaster, visit www.Ready.gov.