Three Preparedness Steps
Steps for Preparedness
Get prepared for hurricane season by following three simple steps.
Step 1: Create a Family Disaster Plan
Identify ahead of time where you could go if told to evacuate. Choose several places: a family's home in another town, a motel, or a shelter. Keep phone numbers of these places on hand as well as maps to each location. Keep your gas tanks full during hurricane season. Make sure to include a plan for your pets.
If you will need assistance evacuating before the storm, call 2-1-1 or contact the Nassau Bay Police Dept. at 281-333-2212. Carry a list of telephone numbers that includes emergency contacts, family members, and other important numbers, such as your family doctor.
Step 2: Assemble an Emergency Supply Kit
Your supply kit should include the following items:
Step 3: Always Stay Informed
- Water - One Gallon Per Person Per Day
- Food - 3-Day Supply of Non-Perishable Foods
- First Aid Kit
- Extra Batteries
- Local Maps
- Battery-Powered or Hand-Crank Radio and a NOAA Weather Radio with Tone Alert
- Pet Food, Water, and Supplies
- Medications, Prescriptions, and Medical Equipment
- Can Opener for Food
- Cash or Traveler's Checks and Change
- Infant Formula and Diapers
- Important Family Documents (Copies of Insurance Policies, Identification, Bank Records, etc)
- Sign up to receive emergency notifications from the City of Nassau Bay via text, email, or phone call.
- Follow City of Nassau Bay on Social Media:
- Learn about hurricane evacuation routes.
- Monitor local radio and TV stations
- Get a NOAA Weather Radio with Tone Alert